[ntp:questions] LOCL clock reachability not 377?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Mon Aug 25 08:44:14 UTC 2014

Rob writes:
> Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis at SystematicSw.ab.ca> wrote:
> > As the SHM driver 28 dev docs say, it is the ancient way to talk to gpsd
>
> Then that better be corrected!  It is hogwash.

I've got a couple of folks wondering about driver46.  I'll let Juergen
discuss this.

He has reasons for suggesting that driver46 is a better way to
communicate with gpsd.  I don't recall what they were, offhand.

SHM has its uses, and it has its problems.

Some have also suggested using chrony pipes as a way to get timestamps
in to NTP.

Now I'm trying to remember another discussion where the issue is 'we
have a refclock that will give us the "time" but not the "date".' as I
recall that has bearing on the SHM driver.  Personally, I don't
understand why we should support these devices, but apparently it's
important to some folks and perhaps I just don't understand the issue.