[ntp:questions] NTP & PPS, part 2 ;)

Paul tik-tok at bodosom.net
Thu Dec 11 23:07:07 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Sander Smeenk <ssmeenk at freshdot.net> wrote:

> Aparently all that is missing in the ntp package (in Ubuntu?) is a
> Build-Depends on the pps-tools package to provide timepps.h in
> /usr/include/sys/
> This doesn't even introduce new binary dependencies. The pps-tools
> package isn't needed after compilation so i dont see why this isn't
> fixed yet. ;)

pps-tools is a universe package.  I.e. it's not available for Ubuntu 12.
In this case it's completely arbitrary but the maintainer makes the
choice.  To rehash the sad story of timepps:
Ubuntu says it's up to upstream (Debian)
Debian says it's up to upstream (kernel devs)
Linus says native support is present, if you want the syntactic sugar in
timepps you do it.
Harlan says it's up to one of the other parties unless an ntp developer
wants to add timepps to the tar.