[ntp:questions] Restrict statements and the "pool" directive

Rob nomail at example.com
Sun Dec 21 11:24:43 UTC 2014

Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen at tmsw.no> wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>> David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>>> I just added some experimental restrict statements to one on my servers:
>>>
>>>     restrict default notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
>>>     restrict default notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
>>>     restrict 127.0.0.1
>>>     restrict ::1
>>>     restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 peer
>>>
>>> and it now seems that the pool directive is not finding any pool servers
>>> even after a few minutes running.  Is this related?  If so, how might I
>>> fix the problem?
>>
>> Yes, that is related.  I encountered this when I tried the pool command.
>> You need to lift restrict on the pool servers, but I forgot how to do
>> that exactly, I just removed the pool command.
>>
> 'restrict source' is the proper way to do it, as long as you have a
> version which supports that command.
>
> Terje

Ok, I remember now (a quick google did not find it, indicative of the
state the documentation is in...  many many sites copied old documentation
to their pages, so googling quickly sends you nowhere).

Anyway, I consider it a bug.  I don't want to lift restrictions to
arbitrary systems selected from a pool.  So, out went the pool command.

Fortunately, "server pool.ntp.org" still works.