[ntp:questions] NTP ignoring maxpoll parameter

Rob nomail at example.com
Mon Feb 10 18:17:57 UTC 2014

michaelbinary <mdw.it at ads-securities.com> wrote:
> HI,
>
> I am syncing to a private stratum 1 ntp server setting minpoll 6 maxpoll 6, however after an appreciable amount of time ntpq is showing the poll interval as 1024. Can anybody explain this behavior ?. Its as if the parameter entry in the ntp.conf file has been ignored ?.
>
> TIA
>
> Michael

Make sure it really is using the ntp.conf that you wrote.
I recently had a strange problem like that (because I wanted to limit
the maxpoll as well to work around some yet unknown bug in the networking)
and it turns out that in Linux when you use DHCP, the distributor
sometimes sets up scripts that take ntp.conf, add the servers received
in the DHCP reply, throw away all you options like maxpoll, write
some new config file and hand that over to ntpd via a -c option.