[ntp:questions] London Metro newspaper misrepresent NTP amplification attack.

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Thu Feb 13 00:56:25 UTC 2014

David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:
> In any case, the problem in getting anything actually printed is
> that you have to write it in a way that is interesting to the
> non-technical.

"DDoSers have found a little-used NTP message type with which to
 implement their nefarious desires.  Sources confirm that simply
 configuration changes to affected NTP servers will deal with the
 problem."

It doesn't take too much added wording to be more "complete" (assuming
I've not botched it :) though I suppose it will lack the visceral
punch of "OMG! NTP is being used for DDoS!"

rick jones
--
I don't interest myself in "why." I think more often in terms of
"when," sometimes "where;" always "how much."  - Joubert