[ntp:questions] Cross-compiling NTP for the Raspberry Pi

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sun Feb 16 21:28:13 UTC 2014

David Taylor writes:
> I have the script at the end of this note which successfully compiles a
> 32-bit Linux kernel for the Raspberry Pi when run on a 64-bit Debian run
> in a virtual machine under Windows.  So far, so good.  What I would now
> like to do is to use the same tools to cross compile NTP for the
> Raspberry pi (because it takes an hour on the RPi itself).  I have been
> trying to follow the guide here:
>
>    http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/Cross-compilingNTP
>
> bit I fail even at the first command:
>
>    config.guess
>
> which isn't recognised.  I would be the first to acknowledge that I'm
> working way outside my comfort zone, but something tells me that if I
> can get a kernel to compile, NTP should be possible, and perhaps easier!

The location of that script moved recently.

Try:

  ./sntp/libevent/build-aux/config.guess

if you are in the main source directory.

And I have not done this in a while - there might be something good to
be said to trying:

 ./sntp/scripts/cvo.sh

instead.  Not sure - as I said, I haven't had to do a cross compile in a
long time.

And it's a wiki - as you come across improvements, please make them.