[ntp:questions] Cross-compiling NTP for the Raspberry Pi

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Mon Feb 17 07:49:27 UTC 2014

On 16/02/2014 21:28, Harlan Stenn wrote:
[]
> The location of that script moved recently.
>
> Try:
>
>    ./sntp/libevent/build-aux/config.guess
>
> if you are in the main source directory.
>
> And I have not done this in a while - there might be something good to
> be said to trying:
>
>   ./sntp/scripts/cvo.sh
>
> instead.  Not sure - as I said, I haven't had to do a cross compile in a
> long time.
>
> And it's a wiki - as you come across improvements, please make them.

Harlan,

Thanks, this is making a start.

The first method on the build and host systems returned:

x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
armv6l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf

which looks reasonable to me.  For your interest, the second method
returned:

./sntp/scripts/cvo.sh: 1: ./sntp/scripts/cvo.sh: config.guess: not found
gronk - config.guess returned 0 pieces, not 3 pieces!

Having made a new sub-directory, and then running:

   ../configure --host=armv6l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf
--build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

gave an error:

checking if pthread_create() works... yes
checking if select yields when using pthreads... cross
configure: error: crossing compiling: use
--with-yielding_select=yes|no|manual

  and I am unsure what it's telling me.  Should I add another option to
the configure command?  And if so, what is the correct value for
"with-yielding_select?

This all looks rather different from when I did the kernel re-compile,
where I needed to specify things like CCPREFIX:

   http://www.satsignal.eu/raspberry-pi/kernel-cross-compile.html#script2

--
Cheers,
David