[ntp:questions] enable pps not working from ntp.conf

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Wed Jan 8 09:55:29 UTC 2014

Dennis Golden wrote:
> I have searched to find an answer to this problem with no success. I am
> using the oncore clock (127.127.30.0) and have included "enable pps" in
> ntp.conf, but I get the following in /var/log messages:
>
> line 59 column 8 syntax error, unexpected T_String
> syntax error in /etc/ntp.conf line 59, column 8
>
> I can use ntpdc to set this option with no problem.

Hi

I have an oncore??? that I've never tried.

My sources for ntp-dev-4.2.7p401 don't seem to have any code
for oncore.pps.n whilst it is present in 4.2.6p5.

My couple of suggestions are:

(1) symlink from the serial port device to /dev/oncore.pps.n

(2) try the Atom + nmea drivers as alternative

The oncore driver seems to allow a selectable skew so that
several pps devices can run at the same time so you'd lose
that functionality.

David