[ntp:questions] How is the NTP build tested?

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Tue Jan 14 07:15:45 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-14, Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
> Brian Inglis writes:
>
>> Besides the U Del ntp-dev release, the NTP.org stable release, and
>> chrony, there is also the OpenBSD derived OpenNTPd implementation to
>> choose from.
>
> I gather chrony and openntpd use the protocol packet format, but chrony
> uses different algorithms (and the RFC specifies algorithms), and the
> last I checked openntpd was actually an SNTP implementation, not an NTP
> implementation.

Yes, chrony does use a different algorithm to discipline the clock. And
a standard has no business to specify how a program achieves the goals.
It certainly has a business to specify what how the packets are
structured, and perhaps even suggest what standards it should achieve in
disciplining the clock, but how it does that should be no business of
the standard.
It would be like saying that all editors should only use ASCII.