[ntp:questions] NTP request retry?

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Jan 27 19:03:59 UTC 2014

Hi--

On Jan 27, 2014, at 10:10 AM, Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:
> Despite lots of tracing I still cannot really pinpoint the problem.
>
> The only thing I see is that ping has absolutely zero loss and all
> usual protocols work fine, but ntp indicates a high loss when there
> is no other network activity.
>
> When the network is kept busy, ntp works fine as well.
> Very strange.

That's odd.  Are the NTP servers and your client subnet-local or remote?

If they're remote, then ARP probably isn't involved unless you're having
issues finding your default gateway.  Set up an /etc/ethers entry [1] for it,
or for your subnet-local NTP servers if you have them around, and see whether
it makes a difference.

Otherwise, tcpdump/wireshark/etc captures should be informative.

Regards,
--
-Chuck

[1]: I'm assuming a Unix-like OS, but adjust as needed.