[ntp:questions] Embedded solutions

Paul tik-tok at bodosom.net
Sun Jul 6 02:56:20 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 7:37 PM, Jaap Winius <jwinius at umrk.nl> wrote:
> Has anyone here managed to turn a relatively cheap, ARM-based embedded
> system with a serial port into a decent stratum 1 NTP server?

Yes (Google NTP Beaglebone or NTP Raspberry Pi I have both) although
since that almost certainly means GPS derived time you typically use a
PPS signal to get acceptable jitter.    The JL Fury NMEA stream will
do 10s of microseconds of offset and jitter but I don't believe that's
common, certainly not in any of the other NMEA sources I used.
Another low cost/low power approach is a Laureline appliance but they
don't run NTP -- they simply respond to time queries with GPS derived