[ntp:questions] Embedded solutions

Paul tik-tok at bodosom.net
Wed Jul 9 12:38:21 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, July 9, 2014, David Taylor
<david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> I have to disagree with you there.  As I understand, it is an NTP server

Quoting the maker:
"... Laureline is an embedded SNTP server that receives time from a GPS
receiver in the form of a pulse-per-second (PPS) input as well as the usual
serial data in whatever format it comes (NMEA, Oncore, TSIP, etc.). I call
it SNTP and not NTP because time is served from GPS alone and no other NTP
servers are consulted. However, laureline is perfectly suitable as a
Stratum 1 reference for NTP and SNTP clients alike.

... Also onboard is a small VCXO which is disciplined by the
microcontroller to precisely 10MHz using the GPS pulses, in effect making
laureline a low-grade GPSDO. ...the rest of the magic is in software:
observing the frequency of the local oscillator by way of incoming GPS
pulses, calculating NTP time from the 70MHz timer when queried  and
handling network administrivia.”

> and therefore I expect it to behave just like any other NTP server

I should be more careful and avoid calling it an NTP server/appliance/etc.

People should think of it as a network attached reference clock or a
GPSDO that can respond to an NTP query.