[ntp:questions] Client using Meinberg NTP can't sync with ntp server problem

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Thu Jul 10 03:49:55 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-10, vothanhhung22 at gmail.com <vothanhhung22 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:53:42 AM UTC+7, David Woolley wrote:
>> On 09/07/14 18:30, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the
>>
>> BlackLists wrote:

>> > --^ It is synced !

>> > -----------------------------------^^^^^^^^-----------^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> >   It is synced !
>>

>> > What makes you think it can't sync?
>>
>> >   When clearly it is.
>>

>> +1 (I make that 3 in total).
>>

>> Also this isn't Meinberg's ntpd, it is the reference ntpd.  Only the
>>
>> installer is from Meinberg.
>
> Hi all,
>
> After 2 hours it can sync now but I would expect it sync every 15 minutes because my program need precision time.

You have no idea how ntpd works do you? ntpd gets the time from its
servers. It then adjusts the rate of your clock in order to bring its
time in line with those remote clocks. eventually ( 1-10 hrs) its rate
will be the same as the remote rate, and its time will be the same as
the remote time. Thereafter it will slowly adjust things to stay in
sync.
Your time will be within somewhere between 10 usec and 10ms of UTC once
everything settles down. What does "my program needs precision time"
mean? Within 1 pico second of UTC? wihin 10 sec of UTC?