[ntp:questions] Client using Meinberg NTP can't sync with ntp server problem

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Thu Jul 10 07:39:55 UTC 2014

On 10/07/14 03:07, vothanhhung22 at gmail.com wrote:
> After 2 hours it can sync now but I would expect it sync every 15
> minutes because my program need precision time.

To speed up initial sync use iburst.

Your non-standard minpoll is contributing to the slow synchronisation.
However note that, in a stable environment, ntpd only requires to update
the clock parameters once every about two hours to maintain close to the
best achievable lock.  The poll rate is 8 times this, so that it can
choose the "best" (lowest round trip delay) sample.  On the other hand
locking in a high minpoll stops it from recovering quickly if things
become unstable.

As others have noted, precision time means widely differing things to
different people, ranging from the unachievable to cases where ntpd is
overkill.  Many people would have a definition of precision time which
is unachievable on Windows, as Windows is not a good system for time
keeping.