[ntp:questions] ntp-4.2.6p5 on Win 7 x64

Nick me at privacy.net
Sat Jul 19 10:02:45 UTC 2014

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 23:16:57 +0000, jimp wrote:

> Nick <me at privacy.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> This performance is marginal for WSJTX.  I need 10ms offset or less
>> after 15 minutes.
>
> What make you think that?
>
> I see a lot of WSJTX signals that are within +/- .5 seconds and
> occasionally some over a second off and they still decode. Most seem to
> be +/- .3 seconds.
>
> We are talking about this aren't we:
>
> http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx.html

Yes we are.

My spec was based only on experience using JT65B on HF using the old XP
box which easily syncs within 10ms, and on which decodes are rock solid.

http://www.vhfdx.de/wsjt/wsjt_user_470.pdf says...

"You will need a method of setting your computer clock to an accuracy of
one second or better, and keeping it set. Many operators use an internet
clock-setting program, while others use a GPS or WWVB receiver."

Thank you for helping me realise the extent of my own ignorance!

> Though I agree ntp should be doing a lot better than you are seeing.

Yes.  I'll keep digging.