[ntp:questions] LOCL clock reachability not 377?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Thu Jul 31 21:17:21 UTC 2014

On 30/07/14 23:15, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> The reason to use a "middle range" stratum for a local refclock is so
> that nobody else will start to belive that source if that machine gets
> access to outside machines again.

You use a high stratum number for that.  The default is too low for
nearly all time island cases, and if you have a time island that really
has that many strata, that is the case when you should be carefully
choosing values, not accepting defaults.

I therefore assumed that the default had been chosen for the
synchronized by other means case.  That case goes back for the best part
of two decades.