[ntp:questions] MSF Anthorn, UK down

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Mon Jun 9 20:19:43 UTC 2014

Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> On 06/09/2014 05:50 PM, Marc-Andre Alpers wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Why have such important service no backup transmitter/antenna like DCF77?
>
> Whereas DCF77 might have a backup transmitter (I don't know), I observe
> DCF77 being down very often, albeit for short durations (5-10 mins).
>
> When I do receive it the signal is strong, so I don't think my
> observations are due to being too far away (I'm in Northern Belgium).
>
> Morale: don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Hi

Mostly too weak in Lancashire UK but at least it has a very
accurate phase shift seconds marker. MSF and GPS for me have
occasional blackouts, ISTR inversion layer effects used to
be common in this area but apparently it's now unknown.

MSF was ok as fallback on rare occasions when internet was
down.

David