[ntp:questions] nagios

Rob nomail at example.com
Thu Jun 12 07:42:48 UTC 2014

Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:
>> Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis at SystematicSw.ab.ca> wrote:

>>> http://packages.ntp.org/debian/
>>
>> Ok that looks good.
>>
>> What is the impact of "The ntp-dev* packages do not utilize any of the
>> Debian distribution patches"?
>>
>> Do the precompiled builds include the ATOM PPS clock?
>> (the default Debian builds do not due to incorrect build environment)
>
> Ah I see I need to compile anyway because the site does not provide amd64
> binaries.  Ok, followed the procedure for installing source.
>
> First thing I notice is that the build-dep does not include pps-tools.
> Of course the result of building will not have PPS support!
>
> Please include pps-tools as a build dependency.
>
> After compilation, things look OK so I have started it on a test server.

One problem: confusion of the service name.  The service is called
ntp-dev instead of ntp, it creates a file /etc/default/ntp-dev during
installation, but that file is never read.  Instead, it reads the file
/etc/default/ntp just like the standard install.  So the -g option is
not applied.

As the ntp and ntp-dev packages cannot be installed together anyway,
IMHO it is better to just name the service ntp and the file /etc/default/ntp.