[ntp:questions] NTP Pool Server Costs me $40/mo in Bandwidth--is

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sun Jun 15 02:52:46 UTC 2014

"Jason Rabel" writes:
> No client should be querying more than once every second (or maybe
> it's every 2 seconds), that is the speed iburst does. Regular query
> intervals would be much longer.

Yes, and remember we live in a world of NAT.  While there is much to be
said for running "your" NTP servers that talk to outside NTP servers and
having all of your other NTP clients talk to your NTP servers, some
folks don't do this, and that means their clients can send a lot of
queries to external servers and these requests will be coming from
(different ports from) a single IP address (due to NAT).

Then again, there are also broken implementations out there that will
badly misbehave.

It would be useful to see if there was any way to identify what's going
on with the culprit IPs.