[ntp:questions] Why DNS servers should not be NTP servers

mike cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Wed Jun 18 12:01:29 UTC 2014

Hi,
 Generalizations such as that have practically no meaning.  All I can say is IT DEPENDS. You need to know more about the servers in question.
  You need to ask:
	Where will the DNS servers get their time?
	Are the DNS servers heavily loaded, even intermittently?
	What quality of time do the clients require?

If you don't know the answers to that , and have no way of controlling them then you can't make an informed judgement. However, I would say that as a rule of thumb avoid them as NTP servers.
DNS servers can get heavily loaded, and this can affect the ntp daemon's access to resources which degrades the quality of time service.

Before trying to figure out what you want to encourage/recommend, define the actual requirements for the clients, then take a good look at your networks and see how you can best and most economically serve the requirements.

hope that helps.