[ntp:questions] Time of by 4 min

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Thu Mar 13 15:48:27 UTC 2014

> I work for a college and a lot of my students are complaining that
> their cell phones are off by 4 min. My servers poll us.pool.ntp.gov.

(I trust that that's ....org .)

> The cell phones poll from time.gov.
> If you look at the website for time.gov it does display the time
> being off by 4 min.

It's correct within wristwatch-and-eyeball accuracy for me right now.

> Would be nice if pool.ntp.org would display it's time on the site
> so I can see if it's actually an internal issue.

*.pool.ntp.org entries are *pools* of NTP servers run by whoever owns a
particular one, so technically, the pool doesn't *have* a single
inherent time (available from all members equally) that the website
could display. Identify the (single ... ?) *IP* your servers currently
poll so that *that one* public server can be scrutinized.

And prepare to use *several* pool servers instead of one, recommended
precisely to avoid such a scenario.

Regards,
								J. Bern
--
*NEU* - NEC IT-Infrastruktur-Produkte im <http://www.linworks-shop.de/>:
Server--Storage--Virtualisierung--Management SW--Passion for Performance
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt
PGP (1024D/4096g) FP = D18B 41B1 16C0 11BA 7F8C DCF7 E1D5 FAF4 444E 1C27
Tel. +49 6151 9067-231, Zentr. -0, Fax -299 - Amtsg. Darmstadt HRB 85202
Unternehmenssitz Weiterstadt, Geschäftsführer Metin Dogan, Oliver Michel