[ntp:questions] Time of by 4 min

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 16:07:33 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Jochen Bern <Jochen.Bern at linworks.de> wrote:
>> I work for a college and a lot of my students are complaining that
>> their cell phones are off by 4 min. My servers poll us.pool.ntp.gov.
>
> (I trust that that's ....org .)
>
>> The cell phones poll from time.gov.
>> If you look at the website for time.gov it does display the time
>> being off by 4 min.
>
> It's correct within wristwatch-and-eyeball accuracy for me right now.

      Call me odd, but being off by 4 minutes does not seem to be bad.
I mean, even a default kerberos install would be cool with that.

>> Would be nice if pool.ntp.org would display it's time on the site
>> so I can see if it's actually an internal issue.
>
> *.pool.ntp.org entries are *pools* of NTP servers run by whoever owns a
> particular one, so technically, the pool doesn't *have* a single
> inherent time (available from all members equally) that the website
> could display. Identify the (single ... ?) *IP* your servers currently
> poll so that *that one* public server can be scrutinized.
>
> And prepare to use *several* pool servers instead of one, recommended
> precisely to avoid such a scenario.

      I always thought the best thing to do is to have your own ntp
servers which then are used by your servers. And then those ntp
servers can query whatever pool you want to use.