[ntp:questions] Not being able to sync the embedded target (client) with the host (server)

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Mar 14 18:18:26 UTC 2014

Hi--

On Mar 14, 2014, at 9:05 AM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> I was told that this would not be a bug, although I could not figure
> out yet why it is not working.

Told by whom?

> As far as I know, this should work
> simply by putting the following two lines into the client
> configuration:
>
> driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
> server 192.168.A.B iburst

OK, that should be adequate for a minimal client config.
(BTW, also note that there is very little point in obscuring RFC-1918 addresses.)

> Yet, the time is not getting sync'd. This is the server configuration, fwiw:
>
> server 0.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 1.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 2.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 3.pool.ntp.org iburst
>
> # restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
> # restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
>
> restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify
>
> restrict 127.0.0.1
> restrict -6 ::1
>
> driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
> logfile /var/log/ntp.log
>
> I do not see any error in the syslog either. I have tried to use "ntpd
> -q" for a one-shot set without much luck. I am probably doing
> something fundamentally wrong, but I was not able to figure out yet.

Try running 'ntpq -pcrv 192.168.A.B' from your client.

Pay particular attention to the line containing status flags; if the server isn't
showing sync_ntp, then clients aren't going to be willing to trust it for time.

Regards,
--
-Chuck