[ntp:questions] Graphing NTP bandwidth usage?

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at tmsw.no
Thu Mar 27 08:11:55 UTC 2014

Jason Rabel wrote:
> A while back I saw a couple web pages where people graphed various
> aspects of their NTP server(s).
>
> One of the graphs of particular importance to me was where they
> showed NTP specific inbound & outbound bandwidth.

MRTG data from the server switch port?

> For the life of me I can't figure out how they did it though. Are
> they fudging the numbers based on 'ntpdc -c iostats' and using the
> packets sent / received and multiplying by some arbitrary number of
> bytes? Or maybe monitor it via iptables?

Since all normal ntp requests (modulo authentication) are exactly the
same size, you can indeed get a good estimate by simply taking the
number of requests and multiply by the packet size (including all header
overheads). The in/out bandwidth should be pretty much identical.

> Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

See above. :-)

Terje

--