[ntp:questions] NTP server not reducing polling interval on upstream hosts

Paul tik-tok at bodosom.net
Wed Oct 22 17:06:52 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 9:55 PM, Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
> I'm not saying the current behavior can't be improved, I'm just saying
> that if there is an issue I want it discussed and tracked in a bug
> report, not some number of email threads.

There's clearly a bug*.  I've submitted two (other) bug reports one
with a driver patch -- there was/has been no discussion or code
change.  One is assigned to Mills and the other to an apparently
inactive maintainer.  Why should people waste time there if it's not a
"security" issue?

Perhaps phk's ntp rewrite will save us all.

*Adding a refclock to an otherwise working system clamps all
unspecified minpoll to the refclock minpoll and clamps all maxpoll to
the relevant minpoll.  Absent any other configuration all minpoll and
maxpoll are hence clamped to the refclock minpoll.  As of
4.2.7p465/Linux.