[ntp:questions] NTP client sync not happened until it restarts, when there was a network failure for some time.

Bollipally, Ramgopal (NSN - IN/Bangalore) ramgopal.bollipally at nsn.com
Wed Oct 8 11:09:50 UTC 2014

Hi,

We have hit a scenario where ntp client doesn't sync with the external NTP server till its restarted.
Following are the sequence of events, as the issue was seen
1)      Initially everything is working fine.
2)      There was a 3 hours network break, so ntp client unable to connect to the external server.
3)      Once network is up, ntp client unable to sync with the external server even  ntp request /response pkts are sending/receiving properly.
4)      Once we restart ntp client , it's started working fine.

(When there is no network, NTP client is synced with local clock as it's confi contain below line:
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 0
)

Please let me know why, NTP client sync not happened until it restarts (when there was a network failure for some time)

This issue is not able to reproduce :).

Thanks,
Ramgopal.