[ntp:questions] PPS as a falseticker!!!

Paul tik-tok at bodosom.net
Wed Sep 3 03:15:59 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM, juergen perlinger
<juergen.perlinger at t-online.de> wrote:
> The basic problem is that using a PPS clock and a GPS(NMEA) clock
> separates what belongs together

This is not true.  Normally I wouldn't fall prey to "there's something
wrong on the Internet" but this assertion doesn't help solve any
problems let alone the problem at hand.  In fact in some
configurations I've run using the PPS option in the NMEA refclock has
*caused* problems.  None of the PPS refclock + NMEA refclock instances
I"ve run have any problems.

This is not to mention the ability to run a PPS disciplined local
clock as a S1 (taking some care to do it right) without a persistent
external source of second numbering.