[ntp:questions] no drift-file on 2008 R2 vps and the time diff. is getting bigger and bigger?

Sun Sep 14 05:23:11 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-13 12:26, gooly wrote:
> Am 13.09.2014 19:09, schrieb Phil W Lee:
>> David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> considered Sat,
>> 13 Sep 2014 15:34:01 +0100 the perfect time to write:

>>> If you had followed my setup guide you would not have installed in
>>> C:\Program Files\ where NTP may not have permission to write a drift file.
>>>
>>>    http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html
>>>
>>> Perhaps the vps implements accounts and permissions differently?
>>
>> Setting that directory to have full control for the ntp user should be
>> trivial though.
>> That's what I've done on all my Win7Pro(64) and server 2008 (x86 and
>> 64bit) versions, with complete success.

> Now I even installed ntp in C:\Users\ntp\Documents\NTP\.
> It was started after/by the installation but in the etc-folder
> there is only the ntp.conf no ntp.drift and no other file which I do not remember correctly s.th. like ntp.rnd?
>
> Is there a log-flag?

Save below as ntp.reg with <cr><lf> line endings in a bin directory in your path, ensure ImagePath entry is a single line, edit to taste; mkdir C:\ProgramData\NTP\etc and grant full control to ntp user; download and run Meinberg NTP installer and tell it to put files in C:/ProgramData/NTP/etc; then run your edited reg file as admin, or drop into RegEdit, to update the NTP service entry.
Download and install the Meinberg NTP Monitor to check operation easily.
Add ;%ProgramFiles(x86)%\NTP\bin; into your System environment variable Path for convenience in running command line utilities like ntpq, and you can define a System environment variable RANDFILE as C:/ProgramData/NTP/etc/.rnd.
You can control or tweak any NTP service settings (except the command line, as it is too long to display or update except via RegEdit) using Services Control Panel, Meinberg NTP Monitor, or sc service control utility. The conf file must be in the ImagePath entry last for the Meinberg NTP Monitor to find it and stats files, so my path options are in descending order.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NTP]
"Type"=dword:00000010
"Start"=dword:00000002
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\NTP\\bin\\ntpd.exe\" -g -M -s C:/ProgramData/NTP/etc/ -p C:/ProgramData/NTP/etc/ntp.pid -l C:/ProgramData/NTP/etc/ntp.log -f C:/ProgramData/NTP/etc/ntp.drift -c \"C:/ProgramData/NTP/etc/ntp.conf\""
"DisplayName"="Network Time Protocol Daemon"
"DependOnService"=hex(7):54,00,63,00,70,00,69,00,70,00,00,00,00,00
"WOW64"=dword:00000001
"ObjectName"=".\\ntp"
"Description"="Synchronizes the local system clock to a reference time source and (eventually) provide this time to NTP and/or SNTP clients"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NTP\Parameters]
"ConfigurationFile"="C:/ProgramData/NTP/etc/ntp.conf"

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis