[ntp:questions] reachability register

MAYER Hans mayer at iiasa.ac.at
Wed Apr 8 13:23:22 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I have a question about the reachability register. For my opinion this is a left shift 8-bit register.
I looked in one of our internal ntp-server with "ntpq" and found a value of 376 to a peer configured internal server. After waiting the time difference between "poll" and "when" I can find the value of 377.
How is it possible ? For my understanding this could only happen after 8 times the poll interval. The next value should be 375 and after that 373. And so on shifting the 0-bit to the left.

Kind regards
Hans