[ntp:questions] NTP offset doesn't change.

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Thu Feb 12 20:44:39 UTC 2015

catherine.wei1989 at gmail.com writes:
> Yes,I just tested it and found that the synchronization of NTP is
> really slow.

It's well documented.  Adjustments are made at the rate of 500ppm.  By
default that will happen for corrections of up to 128ms.

500ppm is about 43 seconds/day, and a correction of 128ms will take
about 256 seconds' time to apply.

Otherwise the clock will be "stepped", so the correction is immediately
applied.

One can change some of these behaviors.  I believe that of the people
who change these behaviors, very few of them properly understand all of
the consequences of what they are doing.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>