[ntp:questions] NTP offset doesn't change.

Paul tik-tok at bodosom.net
Fri Feb 13 03:01:19 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 7:16 PM, William Unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:

> Not really. But it should be distrubing that chrony disciplines clocks
> much better ( lower jitter) than does ntpd in normal situations. Why?
> And does that have lessons that ntpd could learn from?

If you don't stop fixating on NTPd you're not going to get anywhere.  In
general you should encourage people to use better solutions rather than
voicing pointless complaints.  Read PHK's posts and slides.  The facts are
there, the code is short and his biases are obvious so you can start
complaining about what is expected/hoped to replace NTPd with little
effort. If Ntimed tanks then you can start whinging about NTPd again .

As I've said before Ntimed(-client) on my difficult machines (old, slow or
poorly connected) instantly* sets the clock and quickly converges to
microsecond level offsets.

*For reasonable values of instantly.