[ntp:questions] NTP offset doesn't change.

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Sun Feb 15 18:18:45 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-15, Paul <tik-tok at bodosom.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 11:21 PM, William Unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:
>
>> If you demand that I give
>> detailed explanation
>

> You started off down the ntpd versus chrony path again.
>   "To get the discussion started, lets compare some of the differences
> between chrony and ntpd"
> That's not useful.  You've spent years talking about chrony vs. ntpd.
> There's nothing new to be said.

I bring up chrony not to discuss it as a program but todiscuss its
philosophy of clock control and its design. It presents an alternative
to the approach of ntpd, which ntimed appears to be following.

>> tell me that timed
>

> You keep saying timed.  Is that part of some plan to deny responsibility in
> future?  I'm talking about NTIMED-CLIENT.  I don't know what you mean by
> TIMED.

Thank you. I had no idea what the new version was called, and saw
someone call it timed. Sorry if it confused you.

>> is different from ntpd, but
>> give me no explanation as to how, or how timed differs from ntpd
>>

> I've repeated pointed you to Poul-Henning Kamp's notes regarding Ntimed.
> Why isn't that sufficient?  Please provide your parameters for adequate
> explanation.

I wanted YOUR summary.

>> > I've downloaded ntimed which compiled ok so will give it a try in
>> > a few days.
>>
>> Be interesting to see how and what it does.
>>

> Since I've told you how it does and what it does is obvious (but just in
> case -- it disciplines system time by steering it to UTC) you can see why
> people might think you're not genuinely interested in a discussion.

Oh, dear. Some people might think that you are not interested in
discussion. It I say to someone-- I hear you are trying out the new
Subaru, I wonder how it works, I do not expect them to come back with --
What do you mean. It drives along roads.

>   "I have given you detailed answers to your question[s]"
>
> Not so much as of yet.  But I keep hoping.

A lot more than you have to me!