[ntp:questions] chrony as a server

Paul tik-tok at bodosom.net
Mon Feb 16 21:35:48 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 12:14 PM, David Taylor <
david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> I have a non-trivial interest

I meant in Ntimed (the system) not time transfer in general.

> If ntimed is not going to be available for Windows and OS/X that rules it
> out for the great majority of the world's computers.

It's sad that systems that want accurate time are developed on platforms
that have trouble delivering on that need.  However in the case of MacOS X
it's a non-issue.  The NTPd that ships post 10.9 doesn't steer the clock.
That's done by Pacemaker.  So Apple has already gone their own way.  Of
course the bulk of Apple devices (iOS) do use NTP but rather more like
ntpdate.

> The NTP team has made outstanding efforts to encourage cross-platform
> portability such that the same source code can be compiled and run on
> multiple platforms, and the same management interface used even across
> platforms

I expect the same thing of Ntimed but I wouldn't be surprised if the
management interface has little in common with reference NTP ntpq
presentation.