[ntp:questions] chrony as a server

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Fri Feb 20 20:14:20 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-19, Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:
> Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar at redhat.com> wrote:
>> My update to that after the years would be that 3x is not really the
>> minimum difference. If the clock is stable enough, they can perform
>> similarly.
>
> Indeed when a system is in a reasonably constant temperature and the
> clock happens to be good, ntpd performs similar to chrony.

As I said, I believe that one of the reasons chrony is better is because
it reacts to changes, like temp change, much faster. If there are no
changes, I suspect, but cannot prove, that they are very similar. But
most people do not have temperature controlled crystals on their
computer, and most people have variable work that their computer does,
so the internal temperature fluctuates.