[ntp:questions] Pool server gone wild

Roger invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Feb 20 20:50:53 UTC 2015

On 20 Feb 2015 19:29:44 GMT, Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:

>>>Why not just:
>>>
>>>pool pool.ntp.org
>>>
>>>That should be enough.
>>
>> I did have just one line "pool uk.pool.ntp.org" but the rogue
>
>Did I write "pool uk.pool.ntp.org"?  I don't think so...

No, you didn't. Did I say that you did? It is what I had in my
ntp.conf.

>> server didn't get dropped even after 27 hours. I included the
>> "uk" to try to make sure that the servers were as local as
>> possible. Without that they could be anywhere in Europe.
>
>No, the "pool.ntp.org" name selects the closests servers.
>Close enough when you consider the pool good enough.

Experience tells me that IP addresses are selected on a regional
basis, not a country basis. Sometimes they are all in the UK,
but not always. For example, earlier today one of the servers
that was offered using pool.ntp.org was in Hungary. Putting the
country code in makes it more likely that the IP addresses are
local.
--
Roger