[ntp:questions] Pool server gone wild

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at tmsw.no
Sat Feb 21 15:36:57 UTC 2015

Roger wrote:
> On 21 Feb 2015 10:52:40 GMT, Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:
>
>> Roger <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> What problem are you talking about?
>>
>> Your problem to get enough good servers.
>
> When did I say that?
>
> I observed ntpd continuing to poll a server which was off by
> 100s of milliseconds. Are you saying that ntpd didn't drop the
> server because of not enough good servers? A quick eyeball of
> the relevant peerstats shows that ntpd was using at least six
> good servers plus the one that went wild. Methinks you've come
> to an opinion based on too little information.

I haven't checked the source code for quite a while, but the limit used
to be 10 servers, i.e. you needed more than 8 before it would try to
prune the list and replace the worst to get back to 10.

This limit is configurable, it might have been tweaked downwards.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>