[ntp:questions] chrony as a server

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Sat Feb 21 17:52:44 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-21, David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> On 21/02/2015 07:04, William Unruh wrote:
> []
>> orphan mode is about a group of computers. "Orphan Mode allows a group
>> of ntpd processes to automonously select a leader in the event that all
>> real time sources become unreachable (i.e. are inaccessible)."
>>
>> chrony's is that you can enter the time by hand (Ie, by typing a current
>> time and hitting enter) on a single machine.  You are the "remote clock". Now, how useful that
>> is now adays is open to question, but in the past with telephone modems
>> and flaky connections it was worth something. And if you are setting up
>> something on the Hebrides or on a buoy in the Atlantic where no
>> connection of anykind is possible, it could be useful.
>> Ie, it IS different from orphan mode.
>
> "Things chronyd can do that ntpd can?t:  chronyd provides support for
> isolated networks whether the only method of time correction is manual
> entry (e.g. by the administrator looking at a clock)."
>
> The claim is for "networks", not single machines.

It will do that too. The crucial item there is "the only method of time
correction is manual entry" which is different from ntpd and orphan
mode. I have no idea why this conversation is continuing. The two are
different. The two methods are trying to solve the same problem
(timekeeping of isolated systems) but doing so in a different manner. If
you like one better than the other, that is fine. But they are not the
same.