[ntp:questions] chrony as a server

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Mon Feb 23 08:53:08 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 07:02:28PM +0000, David Taylor wrote:
> On 21/02/2015 17:52, William Unruh wrote:
> []
> >It will do that too. The crucial item there is "the only method of time
> >correction is manual entry" which is different from ntpd and orphan
> >mode. I have no idea why this conversation is continuing. The two are
> >different. The two methods are trying to solve the same problem
> >(timekeeping of isolated systems) but doing so in a different manner. If
> >you like one better than the other, that is fine. But they are not the
> >same.
>
> Bill, please enlighten me why I cannot, using NTP's orphan mode, set the
> time on one PC manually and have another PC sync to it?

Well, you can, but it's not as easy. You need to find the orphan
parent first (i.e. the system with the smallest refid), somehow
figure out its phase and frequency error to the real time, and correct
them behind ntpd's back (possibly with the date and ntptime -f
commands).

With chrony you just run "chronyc -a settime xx:xx:xx" once in a while
on the server and it will do the rest for you.

--
Miroslav Lichvar