[ntp:questions] Leap second to be introduced in June

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Fri Jan 16 21:55:56 UTC 2015

Jochen Bern writes:

> We all know that the current NTP protocol leans toward UTC, and
> doesn't address any leap seconds except the one that might be at hand
> right now.  In recent posts to this list, I've read about plans for an
> NTPng that allows for different timescales, but still suggests that
> the leap second table be distributed, where necessary, through other,
> general-purpose protocols like FTP and HTTP.

I'm thinking that NTPv5 will use something similar to the GTSAPI
timestamps, and each "side" will be able to select both the timescale it
is using (including the version of that timescale) and also the
"behavioral model" by which it disciplines its clock.

There will be much to discuss :)
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>