[ntp:questions] I don't understand "Restrict" statements!

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Mon Jan 19 09:55:41 UTC 2015

It's me, not you, but with the following statements in ntp.conf:

restrict source notrap nomodify nopeer query
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict ::1
restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 peer

I get errors flagged at the points marked with "X" below:

restrict source notrap nomodify nopeer Xquery
restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 Xpeer

My intention was:

- not allow external access, except for using external nodes as servers,
just as if I only had Internet sources.

- to allow full access to any PC on 192.168.0. so that the PC could use
the server as a client, and issue ntpq commands against it, in
particular:  ntpq -crv  and  ntpq -pn

I've tried reading the documentation, but it has failed to enlighten me
sufficiently!

--
Thanks,
David