[ntp:questions] Add AM_MAINTAINER_MODE to ntpd?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed Mar 4 20:32:07 UTC 2015

Erik Westrup writes:
> Hello,
>
> I'm cross-compiling ntpd 4.2.8p1 to MIPS. However some times (quite
> often) I'm having trouble with the timestamps of the source files
> (automake-related files) so that the rules in the generated Makefile
> triggers rebuild of some automake stuff, in my case aclocal.m4.

Are you using an NFS filesystem where the clocks aren't synchronized?

> The regeneration is very unpleasant since my computer uses a newer
> version of autotools (1.11.6) compared to the one that was uses to build
> the 4.2.8p1 tarball (1.11.1). The auto-files generated on my computer
> does not work at all, failing on missing ar-lib (why whould I need
> ar-lib on Linux? Seems to be a wrapper for some Windows lib.exe).
>
> So what I would love to have is AM_MAINTAINER_MODE added to ntpd so that
> I can give the flag --disable-maintainer-mode and get a Makefile that
> does not try to rebuild the build system.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/maintainer_002dmode.htm
>
> Can you please add this, it would simply the life of non-maintainers a
> lot! :-)
>

> Note:
> Looking at Makefile's aclocal.m4 target ($(ACLOCAL_M4):*), it seems to
> depend on sntp m4 files. I don't even want sntp so I give configure the
> flag --without-sntp, but the make rule for aclocal.m4 is still triggered.

sntp is a sub-package, so if something is needed by both sntp and ntp it
lives once, in sntp/m4/ .

We looked at a maintainer mode before and it caused way more problems
than it solved.

Better to understand what's going on that the Makefiles think they need
to re-run the autotools.