[ntp:questions] Optimising NTP build for Raspberry Pi 2

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Mar 7 14:16:12 UTC 2015

On 07/03/2015 12:41, Neil Green wrote:
> In an attempt to squeeze all I can out of a NTP and GPS/PPS setup on the Raspberry Pi 2 I’m starting to experiment with compile flags using GCC 4.8. Currently I have:
>
> CC="gcc-4.8" CFLAGS="-mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" ./configure --enable-NMEA --enable-ATOM --enable-linuxcaps --disable-all-clocks --disable-parse-clocks --disable-ipv6
>
> Will attempting to optimise the build like this have any positive impact on NTP in terms of precision, stability etc, or am I focussing on an area that will have no benefit?
>
> Thanks,
> Neil.
==================================

Neil,

 From my limited experience, improving stability etc. is best done by
tuning the NTP parameters, keeping the temperature as constant as
possible, and if you have a PPS source disabling the tickless mode in
the kernel.

If you are compiling a lot, "make -j5" speeds things up.
"--enable-linuxcaps" appear to be unnecessary, and I've not done any
comparisons by enabling or disabling different clocks, but anything to
reduce the ./configure time would be extremely welcome.

I would be most interested to hear of your results.

--
Cheers,
David