[ntp:questions] How to specify interface for multicastclient

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at oracle.com
Thu Jan 14 13:04:54 UTC 2016

On 1/13/2016 11:03 PM, Danny Mayer wrote:
> On 1/13/2016 4:30 PM, brian utterback wrote:
>> I am sure this has been asked before but I can't find the answer. On a
>> multihomed system, is there anyway to specify which interfaces you want
>> multicastclient to listen on? If so, how. If not, why not? I would have
>> expected it to listen on all interfaces, but it doesn't do that.
>>
> Unfortunately no. The server tries to figure out which interface to use
> and sometimes it's wrong. I've had development code to allow admins to
> specify in the config file where to listen but that's not in the current
> code and I'd need to rework it to get it in there. I'm not sure you can
> bind more than one interface to a multicast address as you are asking as
> I don't think that the O/S would allow it. Does Solaris all something
> like that?
>
> Danny

No, you would have to have a socket for each interface. I would have to
look, but I think that a socket can join a multicast group without
affecting its non-multicast traffic, i.e., it might just be a matter of
joining the multicast group on every interface socket that we already
bind. Maybe not, it is too early in the morning for me to be sure, the
caffeine hasn't kicked in yet.

--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Brian Utterback | Principal Software Engineer