[ntp:questions] long time to report sync per leap indicator, when initial system time is set far into the future

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Dec 11 21:13:33 UTC 2017

On Dec 11, 2017, at 3:49 AM, Stephan E. <public-se at innominate.com> wrote:
> A workaround appears to be running with '-g -q' first, in which case ntpd will sync and exit under 1 minute; then run without either option, in which case the LI field will report a sync within approx. 300s.

It was normal to run ntpdate upon system boot to reset the clock before running ntpd persistently.  Running ntpd -g -q and then running a normal ntpd seems like a fine approach.

> Do you think the workaround is suitable, or am I inviting e.g. errors in leap second handling?

It should work good.  If your clock is potentially off by upwards of 5 minutes, leap seconds are a minor concern anyway.

Regards,
--
-Chuck