[ntp:questions] Help with RESTRICT

Antonio Marcheselli antonio.marcheselli at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 20:14:02 UTC 2017

Hello all

[First, I am using google groups, in the past I was told it was causing hassle in terms of formatting but BT have discontinued their news server and I am unable to find an alternative - apologies if these messages are not properly formatted.]

I am looking for some advice on the RESTRICT parameter.

My configuration file has the following line in it:

restrict 172.20.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 notrust noquery nomodify nokod

With the above, a server on 172.20.21.11 was unable to poll the time.
I checked on a working configuration and found the below

restrict 172.20.0.0/16 mask 255.255.0.0 notrust noquery nomodify nokod

but I am concerned that the /16 bit is simply making the whole line void which would explain why it's then working.

Basically, I need the 'nokod'. For umpteen reasons, I want the NTP server to never ban any client on the LAN. But I thought that a little restriction would be good practice too.

Could you please tell me if the /16 is indeed required or whether I have just made the whole line void?

Thanks for your help!