[ntp:questions] does this make sense?

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed Apr 4 16:44:58 UTC 2018

On 04/04/2018 17:29, Maria Iano wrote:
> I'm purchasing ntp appliances to put into three datacenters. Does it make sense to purchase two that use GPS and two that use WWVB, and configure them as peers?
> Thanks,
> Maria

Probably, yes, although these days I would suggest that GPS (including
GLONASS and Galileo) is sufficiently reliable.  WWVB will not be as
accurate and may be subject to local interference.

I've seen GPS fail due to local jamming (deliberate or accidental), but
if you separate out the GPS devices across three locations you should
cover yourself against that.  Be sure to get devices which cover all
three GPS services I listed to guard against single service failures
(which have also happened at least once in the past).

What accuracy do you need?  Microseconds, milliseconds, or?

--
Cheers,
David