[ntp:questions] Issues trying to sync to NIST public servers

Greg.Dowd at microchip.com Greg.Dowd at microchip.com
Mon Feb 4 20:01:45 UTC 2019

I'm not certain I understand the traceability concern as stated since they are both traceable to UTC.  NIST servers are traceable to UTC(NIST) while GPS is traceable to UTC(USNO).  It is true that NIST is charged with distributing time to commercial entities in the US (via WWVB/NTP/Popcorn/etc) so that is probably where the legal requirement comes in.  But as you say, I think you can make good arguments for have a more diverse (and robust) synchronization network with NIST servers being an element of it.  Then, with proper logging, it should be possible to show the clock reference as validated by NIST server queries while not having to always be directly synchronized to them.  Most servers are in free fall all the time anyway with just the occasional ping to the servers.  At least from a sync point of view.

Greg Dowd
Principal Engineer, FTD
Microsemi
3870 N. First St. | San Jose | CA 95134 | USA
Office: 408.964.7643
Email: greg.dowd at microchip.com
Company Website:  www.microsemi.com