[ntp:questions] 'Temporary failure in name resolution' ntpd error

Terry.Lemons at dell.com Terry.Lemons at dell.com
Wed Jun 10 17:57:30 UTC 2020

Hi

I'm trying to diagnose a ntp problem with two systems in my environment. On one system, ntp works correctly whether I specify the ntp server via hostname or IP address. On the other system, ntp works correctly when I specify the ntp server via IP address; but when I specify the ntp server via hostname,  the ntp service starts, but 'ntpq -p' returns "No association ID's returned". When I run ntpd interactively with two level of debugging, I see the message, "intres: resolver returned: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3), retrying sleep until 13:09:55 scheduled at 13:09:53 (>= 17:00:00)"

I'm trying to understand the difference in behavior between these two systems:

  *   Both systems are running SLES 12 SP2
  *   Both systems are running ntp-4.2.8p13-85.1.x86_64
  *   Both system have the same servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf
  *   Both system can resolve the hostname of the ntp server via 'nslookup'
  *   One system has been hardened (including the use of apparmor); on this system, ntp no longer works correctly
  *   The other system has not been hardened; on this system, ntp works correctly

Why does ntpd have a problem with name resolution on one of these systems?

Thanks
tl

p.s. Is there a way to search the ntp-questions archive?