[ntp:questions] Ntpq.exe memory issue with windows 2019

Jakob Bohm jb-usenet at wisemo.com.invalid
Wed Oct 21 12:49:19 UTC 2020

On 2020-10-21 12:45, Sadique Urf Arbaz Sayyed wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 4:14:05 PM UTC+5:30, Sadique Urf Arbaz Sayyed wrote:
>> We started with a brand new windows server 2019 datacenter edition and installed an infrastructure monitoring agent on it and strictly no other program. The machine had 8 GB of memory. As part of monitoring NTP offset from sync'd host we scheduled a ntpqexe. The problem started after 4-5 days, the memory utilisation had increased to significant level >80%. On analysis we found it was a gradual increase and using RAMMAP we saw every time the ntpq.exe will run it will leave behind 24k of memory in PAGE Table with 0 B in Private. Moreover this issue is specific to windows server 2019 we tried following same steps on windows server 2012 machine and it worked perfectly fine with no memory creeping issues.
>>
>> Any help or pointer are appreciated
>
> Full problem is mentioned here https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d45ba91a-cc43-4010-9a2c-d65b1a4cc33a/windows-2019-server-ntp-increases-memory-utilisation-by-acquiring-page-table?forum=ws2019

 From what you have posted above (I have not checked the MS forum) it
sounds like the leak is of "PAGE"-d memory consumption, not page tables
(also known in the NT world as hyperspace).

Question is what is actually registered as owning that page-able memory.
Maybe you have found a memory leak in the NTP server itself, maybe
something in NT 10.??.2019?? (server 2019) leaks memory every time ntpq
makes an UDP socket connection to the NTP service to query it.

There are some advanced tools for checking what owns outstanding global
(kernel) memory allocations on NT systems.  However first you should
check the "commit charge" of the NTP service process, as that is a
direct measure of how much pageable virtual memory is allocated in the
user mode part of that process.

Enjoy

Jakob